Market Curiosity: Exploring Markets And Systems

February 28, 2011

Snippets and quotes from February 2011

Filed under: Snippets — Jeff Fitzmyers @ 11:00 am

MARKETS:
The standard deviation of the growth rate of rolling four-quarter buybacks for the S&P 500 is almost five times that of dividends. — Michael Mauboussin

The markets are unforgiving, and emotional trading always results in losses. — Alexander Elder

I blew up my accounts a few times before selling my car and using those proceeds to trade $10,775 to over $42,000,000. What Changed?$$ — Dan Zanger

… there is an 82% probability of markets reversing within three trading days of a geocosmic critical reversal date (the midpoint of a geocosmic cluster). But in 18% of historical cases, markets don’t reverse. Instead they “break out,” usually above well-defined resistance (i.e. new multi-month or yearly highs), or below well-defined support (i.e. multi-month or yearly lows)… Raymond Merriman

Since Sept 1 1997 the Dow has gained 4,417 pts. The first trading day of month has produced 6,021 pts. All other days? (-1603). Wow! — geckojb

No matter how much you know and how long you study, you will be wrong all the time – Small losers and BIG winners solves all that$$ — Dan Zanger

I have never really made big money by following the indices. I want to be in the top stocks in the strongest groups. Focusing on Leaders — Dan Zanger

The tipping point [to hyperinflation] occurs when a government’s deficit exceeds 40% of its expenditures. — Peter Bernholz

OTHER:
The pathogen is nothing. The terrain is everything. — Louis Pasteur

People respond to incentives, although not necessarily in ways that are predictable or manifest. Therefore, one of the most powerful laws in the universe is the law of unintended consequences. —Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner SuperFreakonomics

According to numerous studies in laboratories, workplaces, classrooms, and other settings, rewards typically undermine the very processes they are intended to enhance. —Alfie Kohn Why Incentive Plans Cannot Work

Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young. The greatest thing in life is to keep your mind young. — Henry Ford

It’s not how much you know, but the truth and quality of what you know. — Trader Vic

Gold is absolute objectivity. It is blind, like justice. It has no politics no ideology, no likes or dislikes, no friends or enemies. All it recognizes is its possessor, whom it serves faithfully so long as they have it. — British historian Paul Johnson quoting Charles de Gaulle

A group of geniuses who are poorly organized will produce little of value, while a group of ordinary people brilliantly organized can produce miracles. — Richard Maybury

Spiritually, we only get to keep what we give away. In the words of A Course in Miracles, we become “become generous out of self-interest.” — Marianne Williamson

Worrying is using your imagination to create something you don’t want. — Abraham

If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in five years there’d be a shortage of sand.~ Milton Friedman

To make good guesses, crowds need certain characteristics… When people take decisions one after another, instead of simultaneously, a problem known as “cascading” tends to persuade them to follow the herd, rather than their independent judgment. — The Wisdom of Crowds

We can scan our consciousnesses into computers and enter a virtual existence or swap our bodies for immortal robots and light out for the edges of space as intergalactic godlings. Within a matter of centuries, human intelligence will have re-engineered and saturated all the matter in the universe. This is, Kurzweil believes, our destiny as a species. — Raymond Kurzweil

Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where others see nothing. — Camille Pissarro

Tie 2 birds together, and although they have 4 wings, they cannot fly — The Blind Man, Circle of Iron

The last duty of a central banker is to tell the public the truth. — Former Federal Reserve Vice Chairman Alan Blinder – while appearing on the Nightly Business Report back in 1994

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it. — George Bernard Shaw

There are two places only where socialism will work; in heaven where it is not needed, and in hell where they already have it. -– Winston Churchill

Leave a Comment »

No comments yet.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: